M.A. Cinema Studies, New York University
M.F.A. and B.F.A. Film, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Diego Costa’s PhD dissertation works through the symbolic possibilities and the speculative symptomatology of “barebacking” and compulsive cruising in digital sexual economies. Costa’s methodology involves Queer Theory (and practice), psychoanalysis and unconventional intimate archives. As a companion to the more traditional dissertation, he is working on a feature-length experimental film titled Matricídio, a Lacanian self-ethnography of sorts.
* “Notes on the Sexuality of Brazilian Children,” in Children, Sexuality and the Sexualization of Culture. (London: Palgrave UK, forthcoming 2014).
* “The Mother as The Child’s First Bully,” in The Qouch by the Queer Psychoanalysis Society. Feb. 13, 2013.
* “Black Penis, White Phallus: On The Virtuall Outsourcing of Perverse Labor (Or, the cuckold fantasy as colonial encounter),” in Producing Theory: The Intersection of Audiences and Production in a Digital World. Edited by Rebecca Ann Lind (New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2013): 143-157.
* “In Praise of Psychoanalysis’ Queerness,” in Trans-Scripts 2 (UC-Irvine, 2012): 223-234.
* “Becoming Modular: the (Re-)Assembled Queer ‘Male’ Body and its Digitally-Enabled Sexual Economy,” in Race/Gender/Media: Considering Diversity across Audiences, Content, and Producers. Edited by Rebecca Ann Lind (Allyn & Bacon, 2012).
* “The Aestheticization of Brazilian Misery.” As It Ought To Be, May 8, 2012.
* “It Doesn’t Get Better, Or Waiting for Godot, Or The Object-Mediated Gangbang” in B Magazine 1 (Retepyx, January 2012): 55-56.
* “L’Homosexuel Brésilien” Translated by Tiphaine Bressin. Edited by Didier Lestrade. In Minorités 105 (Paris: October 2011).
* “Gay Men Are Not Men: The Figure of the Bicha in Brazilian Film,” in Diálogo Magazine 12 (Chicago: DePaul University, 2009): 22-27.
Upcoming Conference Presentations
* Notes on Brazil’s Positive Crisis, at Latin American Studies Association congress: Towards A New Social Contract? at the Washington Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, D.C., on Friday, May 31st, at 5 p.m.
* Time is Out of Joint, Body is Out of Time: What Lacan Might Say About Barebacking, at London Conference in Critical Thought at Royal Holloway, University of London. June 6-7, 2013.
* Becoming Digital, Becoming Child: The Production of Pleasure in a Post-Cinematic World, at Avanca Cinema International Conference: Art, Technology, Communication, Portugal. July 24-28, 2013.
The French journal Minorités, edited by Didier Lestrade, just published Diego Costa’s “L’Homosexuel Brésilien.”
Diego Costa’s article “It Doesn’t Get Better (Or Waiting For Godot, Or The Object-Mediated Gangbang)” is in the January 2012 issue of B Magazine
Diego Costa will be presenting his talk “Black Penis, White Phallus: On The Virtuall Outsourcing of Perverse Labor (Or, the cuckold fantasy as colonial encounter)” at the Queer Yo Mind Conference at San Francisco State University
As part of the Worlding Showcase of the Visual Studies Conference at the University of California – Irvine, Diego Costa will be presenting “Planeta Xuxa: Notes on The Sexuality of Brazilian Children.”
“Sex With The Motherboard: Digital Intoxication and the Queer Infantility of the (i)Subject “ this Saturday, March 31, at the Cultural Studies Association conference at the University of California – San Diego
Diego Costa’s stop-motion short, “In The Summer of 1992 My Mother Cut My _____ Off”
Diego Costa‘s experimental feature film “Le Principe du Plaisir” (2010) has been acquired by Atlantide Entertainment, the Italian film distributor of queer-themed works
The Perverts Contract: the Barebacking Subject as the One Who Knows, at the NYU Cinema Studies Conference: LOST AND FOUND: Nostalgia and Media
Diego Costa is presenting his talk Becoming Modular: The (Re-)Assembled Queer Male Body and its Digitally-Enabled Sexual Economy at the Rendering the Visible conference
Diego Costa‘s film project ADAM (7 min., 2010) was screened at the Highways Performance Space and Gallery in Santa Monica, Calif